Volunteer Centre Halton
Volunteering? Is it for you?
Before you volunteer it might be a good idea to have a think about:
Why do you want to volunteer?
Here are a few reasons why people volunteer:
- to develop skills and experience and improve your CV
- to build up your confidence
- to fill time
- to make friends
What do you want to do as a volunteer?
Do you have a skill or hobby you would like to use as a volunteer? Maybe you have skills or knowledge you would like to develop? Perhaps it is more about getting out meeting new people while doing something useful? Don't forget via volunteering you can add to your CV or develop contacts to use as references. Whatever your reason, its worth taking the time to decide why you want to volunteer. It helps you choose something your going to enjoy and find interesting.
What could you gain by volunteering?
- New skills
- Improved employability
- New friends and networks
- The chance to explore career possiblities
- Increased confidence
- Satisfaction from giving something back and inspiring others
Where would you like to volunteer?
Do you have a particular interest? Maybe you are looking to change career and need experience in a particular field? You may want to choose an organisation whose work helps you meet this.
When are you available to volunteer?
Think carefully about when you might be available. Some volunteering opportunities are only available during the day some only in the evening.
How can you get started?
Register with Volunteer Centre Halton:
- by reading - we can send you one of our volunteering A-Z's, so you can have a look at all our opportunities (perhaps in a comfy chair with a cuppa). Call (01928) 592405 for a copy
- in person - by calling in to have a one to one chat at our Thursday drop in 1-4pm. We have a confidential room available and we help you decide where to volunteer
- by appointment - if you can't make the drop in call us and come in at a time to suit you. Monday to Friday 9-4pm (later by special arrangement). Call (01928) 592405
- online - you can register and have a look at the opportunities we have available and send us your choices via www.do-it.org
Still got a few more questions?